Development Team Manager
Arc'teryx is an energetic and exceptionally innovative company, with over 500 employees. Our ongoing success stems from an uncompromising passion to continuously challenge, and radically improve, the status quo. At the foundation of our organization is a dynamic team of exceptionally talented, fun, and active people.
Our modern head office is located on Vancouver's picturesque North Shore, near the Second Narrows Bridge. We promote a casual and fun work environment that supports and encourages work-life balance. We also have plenty of parking, a bike room, indoor staff bouldering gym, frequent summer BBQs and other events, as well as a great employee discount.
We are looking for a detail-oriented individual with a technical sportswear background to join our team as a Development Team Manager. This role is responsible for managing a specialized team of Product Developers, Pattern Makers, and Sample Sewers in their efforts to manage product from design concept through production readiness while ensuring a consistent level of quality, fit, and performance.
Ideally you will have:
- Knowledge of apparel construction, material construction and properties, pattern making, costing, bill of materials, embroidery and surface applications
- 8-10 years experience in design, development, production or merchandising
- Proven skills at problem solving, interpreting design intent and product innovation
- Proven performance history with domestic and offshore vendors and manufacturers
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Extreme attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills in Adobe Illustrator and Microsoft Office
Your responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Provide day-to-day leadership and guidance to category Product Developers, Patternmakers, prototype makers
- Train the team to work closely with Design, Technical Services, and Quality to deliver production worthy samples and specifications
- Manage workload between team members and calendar requirements to ensure timelines are met throughout design, development and production process
- Report team performance metrics regularly to management team (e.g. product category execution against the corporate calendar, workflow, team capacity vs. line list requirements)
- Maintain regular communication between Design, Advanced R&D, Technical Services and Quality to ensure standard practices, consistent fit, pattern and construction methods are established and upheld
- Ensure use of standard spec documentation to provide sufficient detail to accurately produce finish goods, maintain an accurate database of BOM information, aid raw material purchasing and support Quality process
- Enforce use of standard costing practices and up to date references to provide accurate prototype estimates and product category cost and margin analysis
- Guide Product Developers in negotiations of new product cost sheets with factories, working to ensure consistent RM values, and appropriate direct labour values are utilized
- Support factory execution of new product to ensure Arc’teryx continues to achieve state of the art opportunities for product innovation
- Hire and train suitable resources to meet category output requirements
- Manage limited repertoire of models to maintain adequate knowledge to be able provide coverage as required
- Ensure that Arcteryx brand standards are met
- Support marketing in their creation of labeling, packaging and sales materials
If this sounds like you, then please apply by attaching your resume and cover letter in PDF or Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is important to quote "1402-DTM-web" in the subject line of your email.
Arc'teryx hires on the basis of merit and is committed to Employment Equity.
You can expect an email acknowledging the receipt of your submission within 5 days of your initial correspondence.
Thank you in advance for your interest in Arc'teryx.